If you have some left over idli, don’t waste it. We can change it into a yummy snack for tea time. It’s a 10 minute easy recipe with minimum ingredients.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1. Idli – 4
2. Finely chopped onion – 2 tbsp
3. Finely chopped ginger & garlic – 1 tsp
4. Tomato ketchup – 3/4 tsp
5. Chopped coriander leaves – 2 tsp
6. Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
7. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
8. Salt – to taste
1. Oil – 2 tsp
2. Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
3. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
1. Cut the idli in cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds, then add curry leaves.
3. Add the onion, sauté it well, add little salt (remember there is salt in the idli) and chopped ginger & garlic.
4. When its light brown add the ketchup, chilli powder & turmeric powder. Mix well.
5. Immediately add the idli, mix well and close with a lid.
6. Cook in low flame for 5 minutes, stir in between.
7. Then remove the lid and mix well so that the idli will be fried and covered with the masala.
8. Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Serve hot with tea/coffee.
- You can also make idli upma by adding some carrots, nuts, green peas and grated coconut after sautéing ginger and garlic.
- Use ghee instead of oil for kids.
- You can deep/shallow fry the idli for kids, they will love it (it will taste like uzhunnu vada).