Chocolate Walnut Bars
I would love to share the recipe for chocolate walnut bars today. These chewy bars are made with a walnut crust and a rich chocolate layer for topping. They were yummy right from the oven. You wont believe how easy this bar recipe is until you try it!! I am sure you will fall in love with this delicious, chocolatey dessert Enjoy!!
Ingredients (Makes 24)
From The Cookie and Biscuit Bible Pg 353
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup / 2 oz / 50 g
- Granulated Sugar – 1/3 cup / 3 oz / 75 g
- Plain ( all purpose ) flour, sifted – 2/3 cup / 3 oz / 75 g
- Cold unsalted (sweet) butter, diced – 6 tbsp / 3 oz / 75 g ( I used plain, unsalted butter)
- Icing sugar (Confectioners’) – For dusting
For the topping
- Unsalted (Sweet) butter – 2 tbsp / 1 oz / 25 g
- Water – 5 tbsp / 75 ml
- Cocoa powder (unsweetened) – 1/3 cup / 1 1/2 oz / 40 g
- Granulated Sugar – 1/2 cup / 4 oz / 115 g
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp / 5 ml
- Salt – A pinch
- Eggs – 2
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. Grease a 8 inch square cake pan.
2. Grind the walnuts with a few tablespoons of the sugar in a food processor, blender or nut grinder.
3. Mix the ground walnuts, the remaining sugar and the flour in a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Alternatively, process all the ingredients (that is the already ground walnuts, remaining flour, sugar and diced butter) in a food processor.
4. Pat the walnut mixture into the base of the prepared pan in an even layer. Bake for 25 mts.
5. Meanwhile, to make the topping, melt the butter with the water in a small pan over a low heat. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the vanilla essence and salt and leave to cool for 5 mts. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly blended.
6. Remove the cake pan from the oven ( after 25 mts) and pour the chocolate topping evenly over the cooked walnut mixture.
8. Return the pan to the oven and bake for about 20 mts, until set. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool. Once cooled, cut into bars and dust with sifted icing sugar. Store the bars in the refrigerator.