Bottle Gourd (Lauki/Churakka ) Curry
I am trying to incorporate more veggies into our daily menu these days. We usually have chapatis for dinner so I am always on the lookout for different vegetarian side-dishes for chapatis. Bottle gourd has become one of my favorite veggies recently. Though I had seen this veggie in the Indian stores before, I had no idea how to cook them. Recently I had a lauki thoran which I really loved, that made me search for more dishes with this veggie. I will be posting the recipes for lauki-dry prawn curry and lauki dal soon. Today I would love to share my friend Reshmi’s lauki curry recipe. It is a simple yet delicious curry that does not take more than 15 – 20 minutes to cook as it is cooked in a pressure cooker. You could also prepare it the regular way but that will take more time. Moreover cooking in a pressure cooker helps to achieve a thicker gravy consistency and makes the lauki really soft. The juice of lauki is considered to have many medicinal properties and is very good for health. It also aids digestion and is excellent for people who are on diet. So why don’t you try this healthy and tasty dish?
- Lauki – 1 medium sized, peeled and chopped to small cubes ( Remove the spongy middle portion of the lauki that has seeds)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch, chopped
- Garlic – 3 pods, finely chopped
- Red Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Green chillies – 2 slit, seeded
- Tomato – 2 medium, chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Garam masala -1 tsp
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp, chopped
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 2 – 3 tsp
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker or a deep pan. Add the chopped ginger, garlic, green chillies, chopped red onion. and little salt. Saute until oil starts to separate. Then add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute for a few seconds and add the chopped tomatoes. Again saute for a few seconds and add the lauki cubes.
2. Saute for a few seconds and add around 1/4 – 1/2 cup water. Adjust the salt. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and cook for two whistles. When the pressure is released, open the pressure cooker and throw in the chopped cilantro. Mix well and check for salt. Serve hot with chapatis.