- Green peas – 1.5 cup, dried
- Onion – 1 small, thinly sliced
- Tomato – 1 small, chopped
- Green chillies – 2, seeded
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Grated coconut – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 – 2 pinches
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
1) Soak green peas in water for at least 6 – 7 hrs. Drain and keep aside.
2) Grind the grated coconut with cumin seeds to a very smooth paste.
3) Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add sliced onions and green chillies. Saute until transparent and add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute for a few seconds and add tomatoes and curry leaves. Cook for a minute and add enough water to cook the green peas. Add enough salt. Bring it to a boil and add the soaked green peas. Cook for 1 whistle or until the green peas is done. The cooking time and number of whistles totally depends on the type of pressure cooker you use. Open the pressure cooker and add the ground coconut paste. Bring it to a boil, taste check for salt and switch off. Serve hot with appam/ idiyappam / chapatis / parottas.
You can substitute grated coconut with thick coconut milk ( around 1/2 cup).