1. Fish – 400 gm (You can use king fish, cod, salmon, tilapia, halibut etc)
2. Ginger – garlic paste – 2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1.5 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Salt – To taste
3. Bread crumbs – 1/2 cup (You can use seasoned bread crumbs)
Besan / kadala mavu / chick pea flour – 1/2 cup
4. Egg – 1
5. Salt – To taste
6. Oil – To fry
1. Clean and cut the fish fillets to strips. Marinate them with ingredients numbered 2. Keep in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
2. Beat the egg with a pinch of salt in a shallow bowl. Mix the chick pea flour and bread crumbs in another bowl.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan at medium – high heat. Dip the fish strips in egg. Then roll them in the chick pea – bread crumbs mixture. Deep / shallow fry in oil. (Do not overcrowd the pan, fry them in batches. The oil should bubble when you add the fish to the pan, otherwise it may not be hot enough.) It wont take more than 2 – 3 minutes to fry them on each sides. Drain on to a paper towel. Serve with ketchup / green chutney / lemon slices etc.
Instead of deep-frying, you can bake them at 400 F for about 15 – 20 mts.