Masala Koottu Curry
Here’s the recipe for spicy koottu curry that’s usually served in marriage feasts in our place. Koottu curry is a combination of vegetables and chick peas, and is usually a semi-dry preparation. The vegetables commonly used for making koottu curry are raw banana, chena/ elephant yam and winter melon. There are two versions of koottu curry – sweet and spicy. We have already posted the recipe for the sweet version of koottu curry which is served in the Northern part of Kerala. Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- Raw banana – 1 large, diced
- Chena / elephant yam / suran(fresh or frozen) – 1.5 cup, diced
- Green chilies – 3 – 4, slit
- Curry leaves – 1 – 2 sprigs
- Cooked black chana / kadala – 3/4 cup (Soak dried kadala/black chana overnight and pressure cook adding enough water and salt for around 5 whistles)
- Vanpayar / red chori – 1/4 cup, optional (Pressure cook dried vanpayar in enough water and salt for 4 -5 whistles. You can use kadala/ chana instead)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1.5 – 2 cups
- Cumin seeds – 1 pinch
- Whole black pepper – 1/4 tsp, crushed
- Jaggery / sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilies – 3 – 4
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – To taste
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
1. Cook the raw banana and yam cubes along with turmeric powder, chilly powder, green chilies, curry leaves, enough water and salt. Cook until they are done (you can pressure-cook for 1 whistle adding around 3/4 cup water) and the water almost evaporates completely. Open the lid and mash the veggies slightly. Add garam masala powder, cumin powder and the cooked kadala and vanpayar. Mix well. Meanwhile roast the coconut until it turns light brown (take care not to burn it). Crush it slightly adding cumin seeds and whole pepper and add to the cooked vegetable mixture. Check for salt. Add 1/2 tsp jaggery/sugar and mix well. Cook for 1 minute at low heat.
2. In a small pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustards. Fry dry red chilies and curry leaves. Pour over the koottu curry. Serve hot with rice.