Chemmeen / Prawn Dosa
Ingredients for Prawn Masala (Serves 3)
- King Prawns – 15 – 20 (Washed and deveined)
- Ginger – 2 tsp, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 tsp, finely chopped
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig, chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt – To taste
Dosa batter – As required
1. Clean and wash the prawns. Mince them. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a meen chatti or any deep pan. Add ginger, garlic, curry leaves and onion. Saute until the onion turns slightly brown. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and garam masala powder. Saute for a few seconds and add the chopped tomatoes. Saute until oil separates. Next add in minced prawns. Mix well. Cook until the prawns are done and water evaporates, stirring often. It takes about 8 minutes at medium-high heat. Set the masala aside.
3. To make dosa, heat a skillet. Take a ladle full of dosa batter and spread it in a circular motion. When one side is done, flip it to the other side. Cook for 2-3 seconds and flip it again. Spread around 2 – 3 spoons of the prawn masala on one half of the dosa and fold it. Cook on both sides for a few seconds. Serve hot.
Recipe Adapted from Taste of Kerala