Ishtu / Potato Stew
Ingredients (Serves 3 )
- Potato 3 small, cubed
- Onion – 1 medium-small, thinly sliced
- Ginger – 1/2 inch, thinly sliced
- Green chilies – 3, slit
- Medium-thick coconut milk – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup
- Whole spices – Pepper corns – 5 – 6, Cardamom – 2, cloves – 3
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – 3 – 4 tsp
Heat 2 – 3 tsp coconut oil in a pressure cooker. Add the whole spices. Saute until fragrant. Add thinly sliced onions, ginger, green chilies and a few curry leaves. Saute until onion becomes transparent. Add cubed potatoes, 1 cup water and enough salt. Cover with the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Open the cooker and add medium-thick coconut milk and a few curry leaves. Cook on medium-low heat for 5 -6 minutes while mashing the potatoes slightly with the back of a spoon. Add 1/4 cup thick coconut milk, few curry leaves and 1 tsp coconut oil, for an extra taste. Remove from fire. This curry tends to thicken over time. It goes really well with appam/kallappam, idiyappam or even chapatis.
1. You can season it with 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 2 dry red chilies and few curry leaves. Avoid adding whole garam masala if you want.