Semiya Kesari / Sweet Vermicelli
Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
- Vermicelli / semiya – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Cashews, raisins – 2 tbsp each
- Boiling water – 1.5 cups
- Saffron – 1 pinch (optional)
- Sugar – 6 – 7 tbsp or to taste
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Boil 1.5 cups of water adding a pinch of saffron.
2. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a deep pan at medium heat. Fry raisins until plump and drain on to a paper towel. Fry cashews until golden and drain on to a paper towel. Add the vermicelli and fry until golden, about 3 – 4 minutes at medium heat (if you are using roasted vermicelli, just fry it for 30 seconds). Add 1.5 cups of boiling water. Cover and cook for about 10 – 12 minutes until most of the water is evaporated and vermicelli is almost done, stirring once or twice in between. Add 6 – 7 tbsp sugar, if using and mix well. Continue to cook for 4 – 5 minutes until the water is evaporated and the vermicelli is completely done. Add the cardamom powder, 1 tsp ghee and mix well. Taste-check and add more sugar if you want. Garnish with cashews and raisins. It tastes best when hot/warm.
For an extra taste, you can add 1/4 cup grated coconut. Add it to the fried vermicelli and stir for a few seconds before adding the boiled water.
Recipe Courtesy – My friend, Ansu Joys