Chocolate Banana Bread
Recipe Source – Joy of Baking.com
1. Walnuts or pecans – 1/2 cup, coarsely chopped
2. All-purpose flour – 1 3/4 cups (230 grams)
Unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch processed or regular) – 1/4 cup (30 grams)
Granulated white sugar – 1 cup (200 grams)
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
3. Ripe banana – 3 ripe / Approx. 1 pound / 454 gm, mashed well ( about 1.5 cups)
Eggs – 2 large, lightly beaten
Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup / 113 gm, melted and cooled
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
4. White, dark or milk chocolate chips – 1/2 cup
1. Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 – 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool down and then chop the nuts coarsely.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and place oven rack in the middle. Butter and flour (or spray with a non stick vegetable/flour spray or use a parchment paper or foil) the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. With a rubber spatula or wooden spatula, lightly fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients until just combined and batter is thick and chunky. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips. Transfer the batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with coarse brown sugar (optional). Bake until bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool and then remove the bread from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. It can be covered and stored for a few days, or frozen for longer storage.