White Chocolate Bars – Happy Valentine’s Day!!
Ingredients (Makes 12 – 18)
Recipe Source – Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies and Bars from New York’s Legendary Fat Witch Bakery by Patricia Helding
1. Coarsely chopped white chocolate – 6 ounce or 3/4 cup high-quality white chocolate chips ( I used Baker’s white chocolate baking squares)
Unsalted butter – 5 tbsp
2. Eggs – 2 large
Granulated sugar – 1 cup (I used 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp, that was sweet enough for my taste)
Pure vanilla extract – 1 tsp
3. Flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
1. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (I used an 8 inch square pan) with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Alternately line with foil or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Melt the white chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly to make sure it doesn’t burn. Remove from the heat before it is completely melted and continue stirring until it is completely smooth. You can also melt the chocolate by using the double broiler method. Set aside to cool.
3. Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla together in a large bowl until smooth. Add the white chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
4. Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt and sift together directly into the batter. Mix until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan with a spatula.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is light brown and cracked. Turn off the oven, leaving the pan inside for 8 more minutes. After that time, a toothpick inserted in the center should come our clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
6. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for 1 hour. Cut just before serving. Its texture is in between that of a cake and brownie and its super-yummy. Enjoy!!