Ingredients (Serves 8 – 10)
1. Raw rice – 1.5 cups, rinsed (I used basmati rice)
Split mung dal / cherupayar parippu – 3/4 cup
Hot water – Around 7 cups
2. Jaggery – 1.5 – 2 cups, grated (I used 2 cups packed brown sugar)
3. Whole milk – 1.5 – 2 cups
4. Ghee – 3 – 4 tbsp
5. Cashews and raisins – 2 – 3 tbsp each
6. Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan. Fry cashews, drain and then fry the raisins until plump. Drain and set aside. Now add split mung dal and roast for a few minutes until it turns golden.
2. Pressure-cook the roasted mung dal, rinsed rice and 7 cups of hot water for 2 – 3 whistles. Switch off. Open the pressure cooker when the pressure releases. Mash the rice and dal slightly.
3. Meanwhile in a large heavy-bottomed pan, add the jaggery/brown sugar and 1/2 cup water. Melt the jaggery and cook for a minute or two until it is bubbly and slightly sticky. Add the pressure-cooked rice and dal, 2 tbsp ghee and hot milk. Mix well and cook for a few minutes. Add cardamom powder and the fried cashews and raisins. Mix well, cook for a minute at low heat and switch off. Add 1 tbsp ghee, stir and close the lid for 5 minutes. Serve hot or warm.