Chemmeen – Peechinga Ularthiyathu
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Chemmeen / prawns – 15 large, cleaned and cut into halves( or use 1 cup small prawns instead)
2. Ridge gourd – 1 large, peeled and cut into cubes
3. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
4. Oil – 2 tsp
5. Pearl onions – 4, crushed
6. Garlic – 2, crushed
7. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
1. Cook prawns and ridge gourd cubes, adding turmeric powder and chilly powder. Cook until done and water completely evaporates ( no need to cover with a lid while cooking), about 8 – 10 mts. Add enough salt and mix well.
2. Heat oil in a cheena chatti or any pan. Add crushed pearl onions, garlic and curry leaves. Saute for 2 mts. Add cooked prawns and ridge gourd. Fry at medium or medium-high heat for a few minutes. Switch off. Serve hot with rice and a gravy.
1. Ridge gourd can be replaced with ivy gourd (kovakka). You can also use thenga kothu (coconut flakes) in this recipe. Fry them along with pearl onions, garlic etc(step 2).