Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup / Mexican Recipes
Ingredients (Serves 4 )
1. Boneless chicken ( thighs preferred) – Around 250 – 300 gm
Salt and pepper – To season
2. Black beans – Around 1/2 – 3/4 cup, cooked (Soak dried black beans in enough water for 8 – 10 hrs. Cook for 20 – 30 minutes adding enough water until tender and done. You can use canned black beans if you prefer.)
3. Oil – 2 tbsp
4. Onion – 3/4 cup, chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
Green bell pepper – 1/2 cup, chopped
Corn – 1/4 cup
5. Chilly powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Tomato paste – 1 tbsp
7. Tomato – 2 medium-small
8. Chicken stock – 1 cup + 1 cup water (I used 1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 2 cups of water)
9. Cilantro – 3 tbsp, finely chopped
10. Lemon/lime juice – 1.5 – 2 tsp or to taste
11. Salt – To taste
Coarsely ground pepper – 1/4 tsp
12. Shredded cheese – To garnish (optional)
Avocado, cubed - To garnish (optional)
Red onion, finely chopped – To garnish
13. Flour / wheat tortilla – 1 – 2 (You can use tortilla chips instead)
1. To blanch tomatoes – Put the tomatoes in boiling water. Boil for about 1 – 2 minutes or until their skin starts peeling off. Take them out and set aside for 2 minutes. Peel off their skin and chop the flesh. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan at medium-high heat and add the chicken thighs. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 – 6 minutes until chicken is golden on both sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. In the remaining oil, add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes until they start changing color. Add chilly powder, cumin powder and mix well. Add tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add cooked black beans, chicken pieces, corn and chicken stock.Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 25 – 30 minutes until chicken is done and soup thickens. Bring the heat to low. Take out the chicken pieces and chop into small pieces when warm enough to handle. Put them back into the pan and mix well. Add lemon juice, chopped cilantro and mix well. Adjust salt. If soup is very thick, add some water and cook for a few more minutes. Switch off.
4. Grill tortilla and cut into strips (you can use broken tortilla chips instead). Just before serving, add in the tortilla strips and gently stir. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with shredded cheese, avocado cubes, few broken tortilla chips and finely chopped onion. Serve hot.