- Rice Flour – 1.5 cup
- Salt – As required to taste
- Boiling water – As required
- Banana leaf
For the filling
- Grated coconut – 1 – 1.5 cups
- Grated Jaggery – Around 3/4 cup or to taste
- Cumin Powder – 1 pinch
- Cardamom Powder – 1 pinch
1. In a rice bowl, combine rice flour and salt. Add boiling water little by little and mix well. When its warm enough to handle, make a smooth dough out of it (like how you do for idiyappam).
2. Combine grated jaggery, coconut, cumin powder, cardamom powder and keep aside.
3. Cut banana leaf into rectangles. Place them over flame to make them pliable (vazhayila vaattuka).Take lime-sized portion of dough and spread it on the plantain leaf evenly with moist fingers.
4. Top half of the portion with the coconut-jaggery mixture and fold the ends. Repeat with the remaining dough. Steam it for around 15 minutes or until done. Serve warm.