Aloo Bhaingan (dry)
Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
1. Potato – 3 small, cut into wedges
2. Baby eggplants (green or purple)- 3 – 4, cut into wedges
3. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 pinch(optional)
Coriander powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Hing/ asafoetida – 1 – 2 pinches
Salt – To taste
4. Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Heat 1 – 1.5 tbsp oil in a wide pan at medium or medium-low heat. Add potato pieces and fry on both sides until they turn golden and crisp and are cooked inside, about 7 – 8 minutes. (Cover and cook for a few minutes in between so that the insides are also cooked well.) Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
2. To the same pan, add the remaining oil and fry eggplant pieces until golden and cooked. Add the potato pieces, enough salt, turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilly powder, pepper powder, coriander powder (if using) and hing. Mix well and cook at low heat for 1 – 2 minutes until the spices start to roast. Switch off. Sprinkle finely chopped cilantro, if you want and serve with rice or chapathi and dal.