Brinjal Curry – Tamil Style
Brinjal Curry Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Indian eggplant – 3 – 4 (I used 4 Indian eggplants)
2. Oil – 1.5 tbsp
3. Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Chana dal – 1/2 tsp
4. Onion – 3/4 cup, thinly sliced
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Sambar powder – 1 tsp or to taste
7. Salt – To taste
1. Cut eggplant into thin slices and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry urad dal, chana dal and dry red chilies. When they turn golden, add sliced onion. Saute until onion turns soft. Add brinjal pieces, turmeric powder, enough salt and mix well. Sprinkle little water and cover and cook for 5 – 6 minutes, at medium-low heat, stirring in between. When its 3/4th done, add sambar powder. Mix well and cook for 4 – 5 minutes stirring occasionally until slightly roasted and done. You can roast it for a few more minutes, if you want. This is an extremely tasty side-dish for rice. We had it with Kerala rice, beetroot pachadi, horse gram thoran and moru curry.
Recipe Courtesy – Saraswathi Srinivasan