Portobello Mushroom and Fresh Mozzarella Sandwich
Today I’m bringing you one of my favorite sandwich recipes which is a breeze to prepare like my last recipe! It is vegetarian but I guarantee the carnivores won’t miss the meat at all. I usually make this sandwich with grilled vegetables, basil pesto and fresh mozzarella cheese(recipe coming soon). But today I had some sliced portobello mushroom so decided to use it up in this recipe. Its very easy to make – Start with sourdough bread or any Italian crusty bread. Add fresh mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, grilled Portobello mushroom, basil leaves and sliced tomato and grill until done. This sandwich is crispy on the outside which makes it appealing to the little ones too. My 3 year old really loved it :). Its simple and filling and will definitely be a hit at home. Hope you enjoy this..
1. Sourdough bread or any Italian crusty bread – 2 slices
2. Portobello mushroom, sliced – 3 – 4 pieces (Remove stems, gills and wipe clean)
Balsamic vinegar – 1/2 tsp
Italian seasoning – 1 pinch
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Salt and pepper – To taste
3. Fresh mozzarella cheese – 2 slices
Salt and pepper – A tiny pinch
4. Basil leaves – 4 – 5, chopped
5. Tomato, firm – 3 slices, seeds removed
1. Combine the portobello mushroom slices with balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and olive oil. Set aside for 15 minutes. Grill for 2 – 3 minutes per side or until done OR bake at 425 F for about 8 – 10 minutes or until soft and tender. (You can also saute them in 1 tsp oil for 5 – 6 minutes until done).
2. Brush olive oil on both sides of the bread slices. Top it with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Top it with basil leaves followed by portobello mushroom slices and tomato slices. Top it with a bread slice and place on a panini press. Grill until done. (You can use a regular pan instead of panini press. Heat it to medium and place the sandwich. Place a heavy weight on top or press down with a spatula and toast until both sides are golden). Slice and serve hot!