Bhindi Kadhi / Okra in Yoghurt Curry
Bored of making moru curry / pulisseri for lunch every day? Want to make something different? Here is a recipe for the totally yummy and healthy Kadhi bhindi, the North Indian equivalent for South indian pulisseri/ mor kuzhambu. 🙂 I tried kadhi for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. Kadhi is a yoghurt based curry that’s mildly spiced and is totally comforting. If you are tired of making your regular moru curry, try this for a change. In this recipe, okra is sautéed in little oil until done and its then simmered in a mildly spiced yoghurt curry. It goes very well with rice/khichdi. Or you can have it as a soup also.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Bhindi / Okra – 15 – 20 small, cut into 1 – 1.5 inch pieces
2. Yoghurt, sour – 1 cup
Besan / chick pea flour / kadala mavu – 1.5 tbsp
Water – 1.5 cups
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Green chilies – 2, chopped
Ginger – 1/2 tsp, minced
Salt – To taste
3. Sugar – 1 pinch
Cilantro – 2 tbsp, chopped
4. Ghee / oil – 2 – 3 tsp (I used 2 tsp ghee)
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2
Curry leaves – A few
1. Wash the okra and pat dry. Cut into 1.5 inch pieces. Heat 2 – 3 tsp oil in a pan. Add the okra / bhindi slices and little salt. Saute for about 8 minute, stirring occasionally at medium heat.
2. Combine the chickpea flour with little water in a vessel and whisk until smooth. Add beaten yoghurt, 1.5 cups of water, turmeric powder, chilly powder, green chilies, minced ginger and enough salt. Whisk well.
3. Heat 2 – 3 tsp ghee/oil in a small pan (or the same pan you used for frying okra). Splutter mustard seeds and fry cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dried red chilies and curry leaves.
4. Heat the yoghurt mixture, stirring continuously at medium-low heat. Cook for about 5 – 6 minutes. Add the fried okra and the seasoning (from step 3). Cook for 3 – 4 minutes stirring continuously. Add a pinch of sugar and chopped cilantro. Mix well and switch off. Serve with khichdi/ rice and other side-dishes.