Kerala Special Chicken Biriyani
Today I would love to share the recipe for an extremely tasty Kerala style chicken biriyani. I guarantee that it will be a big hit at your Christmas Party..do give it a try!
Wishing all my readers a Merry Christmas!
Kerala Special Chicken Biriyani Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 6)
Recipe Courtesy – Adapted from Annies Kitchen
1. Chicken – 1 kg, cut into medium pieces
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – As required
2. Coconut oil / vegetable oil + ghee – 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp
3. Ginger – 1.5 inch, roughly chopped
Garlic – 7 large cloves
Green chilies – 5 – 6
4. Onion – 2 cups, thinly sliced
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
6. Biriyani masala powder – Recipe below (powdered ingredients numbered 9)
7. Tomato – 2 small, chopped
Yoghurt – 1 tbsp
Cilantro / coriander leaves – 3 tbsp, chopped
Mint leaves – 3 tbsp, chopped
Fried onion – 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup for garnish (Thinly slice 1 medium-sized onion and deep-fry it. Set aside 1/2 cup for garnishing)
Coconut milk, medium thick – 1/2 cup
8. Salt – To taste
For biriyani masala powder
9. Fennel seeds – 2 tsp heaped
Poppy seeds – 1.5 tsp
Star anise – 2
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Cloves – 10
Cardamom – 12
Kala jeera / shahi jeera – 3/4 tsp
Mace / jathi pathri – 1/2
Cloves – 10
For the rice
10. Basmati rice / jeeraka shala rice – 2.5 cups (I used jeerakashala rice. Soak rice in enough water for 30 minutes and drain well)
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Whole spices – Cardamom – 4, cloves – 6, cinnamon stick – 3/4 inch
Kala jeera – 1/2 tsp
Fried onion – 1/4 cup
Salt – To taste
Hot water – 3 3/4 cups (For 1 cup rice, use 1.5 cup water. Some varieties of basmati rice might need 2 cups of water for 1 cup rice)
11. Hot milk –1/4 cup (optional)
Saffron – 1 pinch (optional)
Rose water – 1 tsp (optional)
Add saffron and rose water to hot milk and set aside.
12. Fried onions – 1/2 cup
Cashews – 1/4 cup, fried in 1 tsp ghee
Raisins – 1/4 cup, fried in 1 tsp ghee
Cilantro – 1/4 cup, chopped
Mint leaves – 1/4 cup, chopped
1. Coarsely grind ginger, garlic and green chilies (ingredients numbered 3) in the small jar of a mixie.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil + 2 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add ground ginger-garlic-green chilly mixture and saute until golden, around 6 minutes. Add thinly sliced onion, a pinch of salt and saute for 5 – 6 minutes. Bring down the heat to low. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder. Saute for a minute. Add freshly ground biriyani masala powder and mix well. Next add the chicken pieces, salt and mix well. Increase the heat to medium and add tomatoes, yoghurt, cilantro, mint leaves and fried onion. Mix well and cook for a minute. Add coconut milk and mix well. Cover with a lid. Cook for 30 – 35 minutes until oil separates and the chicken pieces are done, stirring a few times in between. Open the lid and cook for 5 – 6 minutes at medium-high heat until most of the water evaporates and the chicken pieces are well-coated with the masala. Switch off the stove.
3. Meanwhile heat 2 tbsp ghee in a 4 or 5 liter pressure cooker or any vessel. Add cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves. Stir for a few seconds until fragrant. Add drained rice, shahi jeera/kala jeera and fry for 2 – 3 minutes at medium heat. Add 3 3/4 cup hot water, 1/4 cup fried onion (optional) and enough salt, to taste. The watre should be slightly salty. Cover with pressure cooker lid and cook until steam starts coming out profusely from the lid. Put on the whistle and cook for 2 – 3 minutes at low heat. Switch off. Set aside for 10 – 15 minutes or until pressure releases. Open the cooker. The rice will be perfectly cooked. Add saffron milk, if using and mix gently.
4. To layer- Apply ghee inside a medium-sized bowl with 1/2 tsp ghee. Sprinkle 1 tbsp fried onion, chopped cilantro, mint, 2 – 3 fried cashews and raisins. Top it with 1/2 cup hot cooked basmati rice followed by 1 – 2 pieces of chicken coated with gravy. Top the chicken pieces with cooked rice and press well. Place the serving plate on top of this layered bowl and flip it. Tap the bowl gently and remove it. Yummy Kerala chicken biriyani is ready! Serve with boiled egg, raita, lemon pickle and pappadam. Enjoy!