For the dough
1. Whole wheat flour / Atta – 2 cups
Salt – As required
Water – As required
Oil – 1 – 2 tbsp
2. Potatoes –2 – 3 boiled and mashed completely
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
Green chilies – 2, minced
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Amchur powder – 1/2 tsp
3) Butter – 1 – 2 tsp to serve on top of paratha, optional
Yogurt and pickle – to serve on side
1. For the dough – Add salt to the wheat flour, combine, slowly add water and oil to form a soft yet slightly firm dough. Cover with a damp cloth or paper towel and let it rest for 15 – 20 mts.
2. For the stuffing – Halve the potatoes and cook in a pressure cooker for 1 – 2 whistles or any pan adding enough water, until soft. Remove the peel and mash completely. Combine it with all the other ingredients numbered 2 and mix well. Your stuffing is ready.
3. Roll the stuffing and the dough to equal-sized balls.
4. Now take one atta ball. Dip into dry whole wheat flour and roll to form a 3″ diameter circle. Place a stuffing and bring the edges of the dough to the center and cover the stuffing.
4 Dust the working surface with some atta flour and roll out the stuffed dough to form a circle.
5 Heat a tawa and once its hot, place a paratha and let it cook for 15 secs. Flip the paratha and let it cook for a few more secs. Once light brown spots appear, drizzle some oil or ghee and roast to a golden shade on both sides. Use a spatula to press the puffed areas as the paratha gets roasted.
6 Serve hot with any curry of your choice or yogurt and pickle.