Ingredients (Serves 6)
1. Eggplant – 1 large
2. Yoghurt – 1 cup or as required
3. Salt – To taste
4. Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2, broken
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 pinch
Hing / asafoetida – 1 tiny pinch
Curry leaves – A few
1. Wash the eggplant well and wipe with a kitchen towel.
2. Cut off the stalk and prick holes all over the eggplant using a fork.
3. Place the eggplant on a lined baking sheet and bake at 450 F for 30 minutes.
Take it out and let cool for 5 minutes.
4. Remove the eggplant peel and smash it well. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a cheena chatti / pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chilies, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, hing and curry leaves. Next add the mashed eggplant and salt, to taste. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Switch off. Allow it to cool a bit and then add yoghurt and mix well. Taste-check for salt. Serve with rice and other side-dishes.
Recipe Courtesy – Saraswathy Srinivasan