Bitter gourd Podi / Pavakka Chammanthi Podi
Ingredients (Makes around 1 – 1.5 cup)
1. Oil – 1/4 cup
2. Bitter gourd – 6 small (Around 400 gm )
Finely chopped onion / pearl onion – 1/2 cup
Salt – To taste
3. Grated coconut – 1 cup
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
4. Tamarind – 1 tsp, torn into small pieces
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Hing / asafoetida /kayapodi – 1 pinch
To dry roast and grind
6. Urad dal – 2 tsp
Dried red chilies – 3 – 4, broken
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
1. Cut the bitter gourd into pieces and finely chop in a food processor. You can grate them instead.
2. In a pan, dry roast dried red chilies and urad dal at medium high heat stirring continuously. When urad dal turns golden, add coriander seeds and continue to stir until urad dal turns brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
3. In the same pan, heat 1/4 cup coconut oil at medium-high heat. Add the bitter gourd pieces, enough salt and saute for 3 – 4 minutes. Add finely chopped onion and mix well. When bitter gourd turns to a light golden color, add grated coconut and curry leaves. Mix well and saute until everything turns golden. Add tamarind pieces and saute until everything turns brown. It takes around 15 minutes. Taste-check for salt. Add turmeric powder and hing. Mix well. Stir for a couple of minutes. Switch off and set aside to cool.
4. Crush the dry roasted urad dal, dried red chilies and coriander seeds in a mixie. Add the cooled bitter gourd –coconut mixture. Coarse grind everything and transfer to an air-tight container. It keeps well for at least 1 week at room temperature. You can refrigerate it for a longer shelf life.