Trissur Style Prawn Curry
Trissur Style Prawn Curry Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Prawns – 400 – 500 gm, cleaned (Medium or small prawns works best for this recipe)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch, thinly sliced
- Pearl onions / kochulli – 7 – 8, sliced
- Curry leaves – 1 – 2 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 2 tsp
- Coconut milk (thin) – 1.5 cup
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Mango, sour – 1 small peeled and cubed ( You can use kudam puli / gamboge instead. If the mango is not very sour, you can use a piece of kudampuli along with the mangoes pieces)
- Coconut milk (thick) – 2 – 3 tbsp
- Green chilies – 2, slit
- Salt – To taste
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Pearl onions – 8, thinly sliced
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
1. In a clay pot or any deep pan, add the ginger, pearl onions, curry leaves, turmeric powder and chilly powder. Pour around 1.5 cup thin coconut milk, a tsp of coconut oil and boil this gravy until it reaches a slightly thick consistency.
2. Now bring down the heat to medium-low and add the mango pieces. Cook for a few minutes. Next add prawns and cook at medium-low heat for around 7 – 8 minutes gently swirling the pan in between. When the prawns are done and gravy thickens, add 2 slit green chilies, 2 – 3 tbsp thick coconut milk and a few curry leaves. Adjust the salt and switch off.
3. Heat coconut oil in a small pan and add the sliced pearl onions. Fry until they turn brown. Add a few curry leaves and stir for a few seconds until crisp. Pour over the prawn curry. Do not omit this step as it gives a nice aroma and flavor to the curry. Cover the pan with its lid and keep aside for at least 15 minutes for the flavors to set. Serve with rice. Enjoy!!