Vazhuthananga / Brinjal Egg Thoran
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Vazhuthananga / Chinese eggplant – 1 medium-large, thinly sliced as shown in the picture below
2. Eggs – 2, beaten
3. Coconut oil – 2 tsp + ghee – 1 tsp
4. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2, broken
5. Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Green chilies – 2 – 3, diagonally sliced
Ginger – 1/2 tsp, minced
Curry leaves – A few
6. Salt – To taste
1. Slice the eggplant lengthwise into thin pieces as shown in the picture below. Put them in a vessel filled with water.
2. Combine grated coconut along with other ingredients numbered 5. Set aside.
3. Heat coconut oil in a cheena chatti at medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chilies. Squeeze the eggplant pieces well to remove the moisture and add to the pan along with salt and coconut mixture. Mix well. Bring them together in the middle of the pan. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Open the lid and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Make a well in the middle and pour beaten egg. Scramble the egg using a spatula. When 3/4th done, mix everything well. Continue to cook for a few more minutes until dry. Switch off. Serve with rice and other side-dishes. We had it with rice, chammanthi, vanpayar ularthiyathu and ginger pickle.