This is a different style pulav, which is easy and tasty too. It will go with chicken curry, chick peas curry, or any vegetable curry, even with curd and a pickle.
Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1.Basmati rice – 2 cup
2.Carrot – 1, grated
3.Beans - ½ cup, cut diagonally or into thin round pieces
4.Frozen green peas – ½ cup
5.Onion – ½ (medium-sized), thinly sliced
6.Raisins – ¼ cup
7.Cashew -1/4 cup
8.Cloves – 6
9.Cardamom – 4
10. Cinnamon stick – ½ inch
11. Black pepper corns – 8
12. Ghee / oil – 1.5 tbsp + 1 tbsp
13. Salt – to taste
1. Soak the rice for 20 minutes.
2. Drain it and keep aside.
3. Shallow fry the raisins, cashews in ghee and keep aside.
4. Fry the sliced onion until brown.
5. Then shallow fry the beans with a pinch of salt.
6. When the beans are half-done add the carrots, little salt and shallow fry them(add more ghee /oil if needed). Keep these fried vegetables aside.
7. Heat a heavy nonstick pan, add the ghee and fry the drained rice in low flame for 5 mts.
8. Meanwhile in another vessel boil water (4 cups for 2 cups of rice) with salt and whole garam masala.
9. Pour the boiling water to the pan containing fried rice and stir well. Close it with a lid and cook in medium heat.
10. Check for water in between.
11. After 25- 30 mts the rice will be 98% cooked and there will be no water in the pan.
12. Then remove it from the heat and add the green peas (don’t stir), close it again with the lid. Let it cool.
13. The rice will be fully cooked by that time. Now add the fried Vegetables, fried onion, cashews, raisins to the rice and mix gently with a fork.
For an extra taste, you can try adding cubed pineapple to this pulav. Fry them slightly after frying cashews and raisins in ghee /oil. Set aside and mix with cooked rice later.