Here’s another great recipe from Best Ever Indian Cookbook. The word tikka means bits or pieces. This is a wonderful and easy-to-prepare appetizer where the chicken is broiled or grilled after marinating it with yoghurt and spices. This dish can also be served as a main course.
- Boneless chicken – 500 gm, cubed
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Low fat yoghurt – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1.5 tbsp
- Fresh cilantro chopped - 1 tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, yoghurt, lemon juice, cilantro and salt for at least 2 hours.
2. Place in a grill (broiler) pan or in a flameproof dish lined with foil and baste with the oil. (You can also arrange them in 2-3 skewers (remember to soak wooden skewers in cold water for 15 mts before use, to prevent them from burning). I broiled it in the conventional oven with some bell peppers marinated with vegetable oil, dried herbs (rosemary,dill weed, thyme and parsley) and garlic salt.)
3. Preheat the grill (broiler) to medium. Grill (broil) the chicken pieces for 15-20 mts or until done, turning and basting several times. Garnish with onion rings and lemon slices. This recipe serves 4 as an appetizer.