I saw these really yummy stuffed buns in Marias Menu and wanted to give it a try. I have bookmarked lots of her yummy recipes but this is the first one I tried. The buns turned out really well and was absolutely delicious. I was so excited that I sent its pictures to all my friends, the minute I clicked them. Its just so easy to make them though it takes a few hours to get the end result. My hubby loved it and he in fact took it for his lunch next day :). Thanks a lot Maria for sharing this recipe and thanks to Ria who shared the original recipe. Though I tried to stick to the recipe, some measurements got changed when I made the dough. I made it twice in the last week with the same measure of ingredients and both times they turned out successful. I used a chicken and egg filling for these buns.
For the bun (Yield – 9 buns)
- All purpose flour/maida – 2.5 cups
- Active dry yeast – 2 tsp
- Warm water – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Egg – 1 beaten
- Egg white – of 1 egg, for egg wash
- Sesame seeds – 1.5 tsp, to sprinkle
- Salt – To taste
1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water along with 1 tbsp sugar. Set aside for around 10 mts.
2. Combine the all purpose flour(start adding 1 cup, you will need to add more while kneading the dough), sugar, milk, oil, salt and mix until you get a smooth paste. Now add the beaten egg, yeast, remaining all purpose flour and knead until you get a soft dough, adding extra flour little by little( I used a food processor). Keep it covered in a warm place for around 2-3 hrs. The dough will double in volume by that time.
3. Now punch it down lightly and make large lemon-sized balls out of it. Flatten them and fill with the stuffing (around 1.5 tbsp each). Reshape back into a ball. Arrange them on a greased foil and let them rest for 15 – 20 mts. Preheat the oven at 350 F for around 15 mts. Beat the egg white nicely, apply it over the buns and sprinkle sesame seeds. Put them in a baking tray and bake for 20 – 25 mts or until their surface becomes reddish brown in color.
For the egg filling
Egg – 2 ( Boiled and chopped)
Red onion – 1 small (sliced lengthwise and chopped or finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 tsp finely chopped
Garlic – 1 tsp finely chopped
Green chilly – 1 chopped fine
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Oil – As required
Cilantro – 1 tbsp
1. Heat some oil in a pan and add the ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute for a minute and add the red onion. When it turns light brown, add the masala powders. Saute for a few seconds, add the chopped eggs and chopped cilantro. Mix well and switch off. let it cool down.
For the chicken filling
Chicken breast – 1 (Cook it adding pepper powder and salt. Mince when it cools down)
Red onion – 1 small, chopped fine
Ginger – 2 tsp chopped fine
Garlic – 2 tsp chopped fine
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Oil – As required
1. In a pan heat oil and add the finely chopped ginger and garlic at medium heat. Saute for a few minutes and add the chopped red onion. When it turns light brown and oil appears on top, add the masala powders. Saute for a few seconds and then add the minced chicken. The filling should not be too dry. In case it is dry, sprinkle some water. Mix well and check for salt. Cool down.
My choice goes for chicken filling, tempting stuffed buns..
really cool.. will try someday 🙂
so tempting da… beautiful clicks .. I mustering up all my courage to try this stuffed bun for sure
wow.. looks awesome
These buns look amazing and I like the idea of filling them A complete sandwich in one.
looks delicious..feel to have it now..good idea..i think it’s perfect one with tea ..loved the filling.
as always nice presentation
wow..these looks awesome..such a cute buns..!
Buns look perfect and delicious dear 🙂
Beautiful blog, wonderful presentation of the recipes 🙂 Looks extremely perfect 🙂
such a beautiful buns, loved the egg stuffing in it…looks so perfect, much better than the one which i buy from outside…
Awesome looking buns and would love to have those with some vegetable fillings. Absolutely gorgeous.
Wooooow!!!! dears stuffed buns looks great n perfect paa..i like both version of stuffing superbbbbb.
oh excellent buns..and they stay in the fridge for days:)
last week i also made the same…it tastes wonderful. like your filling idea. will try this next.
these buns have been going aounr and yiur is the fourth blog that i saw preparing the same…i have been tempted the firt time i saw this,,,,and even i had a talk about t his to my hubby….Your look as if bought from bakery!!so perfct….and this is even tempting me more….
dears…soo good …looks perfectly baked and stuffed…yummy o yummy buns… 🙂
WOOOO~! what a picture.. looks soo good and tempting me to do this right away. I love this recipe specially the egg filling is sure my sort of filling.
The buns look perfect…nice clicks..for vegetarians, adding paneer instead of chicken will be the same effect.alle?..like paneer tikka . i am gong to try this soon.
Wow!! I am drooling! They look so lovely
Very nice looking buns !!!
Looks so yummy and beautiful, love both the filling, thanks for sharing dear….
LOvely recipe…i too love this kind of stuffed buns…..ur buns came out so perfect…
Awesome..loved the stuffing too…great clicks
Lovely buns..Looks so delcious..It reminds me of Aloo buns..
Very tempting dear! Hope I’ll make this ONE DAY! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm…….
Thanks for trying!! 🙂 You have baked them perfectly!
Looks perfect, just like store bought ones… Perfect clicks too… make you feel like trying it out!
Awesome stuffed buns…looks super delicious, makes me hungry 🙂
Awesome… i have never got a chance to make buns. i’ll definitely try this recipe…:-) YUMMY
wow looks perfect!
Looks so so so perfect…super yummy.. looks professional.
These look perfect to me. Wow…that’s a lot of filling. You are very generous!
wow! lovely…they don’t look like homemade!
Perfectly baked puffy buns.
Love the idea of boiled egg filling.
I saw the post and enticed by the pictures made the buns today itself. Tried the egg stuffing and it came out really good.Thanks for the recipe.
These buns looks so so prefect!! Brilliant pics too..Great job!
Thank You All for your lovely words 🙂
Thanks dear and they look perfect, the colour, the shape etc; great pics too 🙂
Tried the stuffed bun today with the egg filling. Came out quite well.
Thanks to Yummy team for the wonderful recipe.
Thank You so much for trying it out, Rusheeda..Glad that you liked it 🙂
Hi, lovely recipe..definitely will try..but can we stuff them with something sweet..like jam or something..lease suggest as my husband has a sweet tooth so want to try that version
hi! can i make these a day in advance? with the egg filling? how shd i reheat it before serving to guests? in micrwave or oven?
I am really sorry for the late reply. Sure, you can stuff these buns with something sweet. Check out this link for a sweet stuffing recipe.
I have never prepared them in advance but I think reheating them in microwave should be okay.
I read through your earlier reply for the sweet filling in buns and have gone through the recipe also. Looks delicious.
But what I am looking for is the sweet buns that we get in our bakeries. I.e bun with tutti fruity… Will it be good if I use this bun recipe and add the tutti fruity?
Thanks in advance. Appreciate all your good work.
Yeah, you can use tutti fruity filling in this recipe.