- Cauliflower – 1 large
- Green chillies – 3, sliced diagonally
- Garlic – 2.5 tbsp, minced
- Ginger – 1 tsp,minced
- Onion – 1 medium sized, diced
- Green bell pepper / green capsicum – 1/4th of one, diced
- Red bell pepper / red capsicum – 1/4, diced
- Pepper powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato ketchup – 3 – 4 tbsp (Adjust the sauces according to your taste preferences)
- Soy sauce – 2 – 2.5 tbsp
- Green/red chilli sauce – 2 – 3 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Corn flour – 2 tsp (Mix 2 tsp corn flour in 1 cup of water without lumps)
- Sugar – A pinch (optional)
- Spring onion – To garnish (Around 3 – 4 tbsp)
- Cilantro / coriander leaves – To garnish, 1 tbsp (optional)
- Oil – For deep frying
- Salt – To taste
For the batter
- Maida/All purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Corn flour – 1/4 cup
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Water – As required
Mix the above ingredients to make a thick batter.
1) Wash and cut the cauliflower to florets. Dip them in the maida batter and deep fry in oil until golden brown. Keep aside.
2) In a deep pan, heat around 2 tbsp oil and add the minced garlic and ginger. Now add the onion and saute until they turn transparent at medium heat. Do not brown them, they should retain their crunchiness. Next add the capsicum/ bell peppers and saute for 1-2 minutes at medium-high heat.
3) Stir in the soy sauce, ketchup, chilli sauce, vinegar and pepper powder. Mix well and add 1 cup corn flour in water (Mix 2 tsp corn flour in 1 cup of water without lumps) . Check for salt and allow it to boil. Switch off.
4) Add the fried cauliflower florets and mix well. Add the chopped cilantro, spring onion and mix well. Serve hot with fried rice/noodles.
For the dry version of gobi manchurian omit the corn flour in water. Just stir in the fried cauliflower pieces to the sauce mixture and toss until they are well-coated with the sauces. Serve it along with fried rice/noodles or as an appetizer.