It is a very easy Kerala style zucchini curry, that I am posting today. This curry would taste very similar to our very own vellarikka curry. I got this idea from my friend Manju Jyotish who often make this and told me to try it too. I tried it last week and loved it. It tasted almost like vellarikka curry and went along well with rice. You can use Indian cucumber instead of zucchini for the original taste. Here is the recipe.
- Zuchini – 2
- Green chillies – 2, slit
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut -1/2 – 3/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Pearl onion – 5 -6 chopped
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Curd – 2 tbsp (Optional)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
1. Slice the zucchini into rounds and cook it covered in enough water along with slit green chillies, turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt.
2. Grind the coconut along with 1/2 tsp cumin seeds to a very fine paste. When the zucchini is almost cooked, add the ground coconut-cumin mixture and cook for a few more minutes. Switch off. Add 2 tbsp beaten curd and mix well. You can add more curd if you wish.
3. Heat oil in another pan and add the dry red chillies and chopped pearl onion. Saute until the pearl onions turn brown and then pour it over the curry. Mix well and cover with a lid for 15 mts. Serve it along with rice.
1. Substitute zucchini with cubed Indian cucumber for the Kerala cucumber/vellarikka curry.
Sending our roasted brussels sprouts to Preeti’s Green Gourmet Event:
Also sending our spinach-toor dal thoran to Preeti’s Green Gourmet Event: