Pal Payasam / Kheer
Pal payasam recipe
Ingredients ( Makes about 6 – 8 servings)
- Unnakkalari / red rice / payasam rice – 1/2 cup, rinsed well
- Sugar – 3/4 – 1 cup or to taste
- Milk – Around 5 cups (I used low fat milk (2%). If you are using whole milk – use 4 cups of milk and 1 cup water)
- Cardamom powder – 2 pinches or 2 cardamom pods slightly crushed
In a 5 liter pressure cooker, add the rinsed unnakkalari, milk and sugar(You can also add 2 crushed cardamoms along with these ingredients). Close with the lid and cook at the lowest flame (or over low-medium flame). When the steam starts coming out, put the pressure cooker weight and cook for about 35 – 40 mts (without any whistles). Switch off. Keep it aside for a minimum of 1.5 – 2 hrs, before opening. Open the pressure cooker, check the sugar and add 2 pinches cardamom powder (if you did not add crushed cardamoms before) and mix well. If the pal payasam is very thick, dilute it by adding milk. Serve warm or cold.
1. You can try pal payasam with basmati rice or sona masoori rice but traditionally it is made with payasam rice / unnakkalari.