Kappa Biriyani Recipe
For the meat curry
1. Beef /mutton / – 1/2 kg, washed and cubed (I used beef)
2. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1.5 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
3. Water – 1/4 – 1/2 cup
Marinate the meat pieces with ingredients numbered 2 for at least 1 hr.
To prepare kappa
3. Kappa / tapioca – 3/4 kg, peeled and cut into medium cubes
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
To prepare the biriyani
4. Shallots – 15 – 20, thinly sliced or 1 medium onion, sliced
Ginger and garlic, finely chopped or crushed – 2 tbsp
5. Green chilies – 2 , slit
6. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Pepper powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1.5 tsp
7. Curry leaves – 1 – 2 sprigs
8. Salt – To taste
9. Coconut oil – 1 – 2 tbsp
For the seasoning
10. Coconut oil – 1 – 2 tsp
11. Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Dry red chilies – 2
Shallots – 2 – 3, thinly sliced (optional)
Curry leaves – A few
1. Pressure cook the marinated beef pieces adding 1/4 cup water for 3 – 4 whistles or until done. Set aside.
2. Cook the tapioca pieces in enough water to cover them, adding salt. When tapioca is done, switch off and drain the water completely. Transfer it back to the pot, add the grated coconut and mix well. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Heat coconut oil in a pan and add the thinly sliced shallots, ginger-garlic and green chilies. When onion turns light brown, bring down the heat to low and add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, pepper powder and garam masala powder. Bring down the heat to low and stir until their raw smell disappears completely. Now add the prepared beef gravy. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 – 6 minutes over medium-low until the gravy is thick and add the mashed tapioca and a few curry leaves. Mix well. Taste check for salt.
4. Heat 1 – 2 tsp coconut oil in a small pan. Splutter mustards and fry dry red chilies. Add a few curry leaves and sliced shallots and saute until the shallots turn golden. Pour this over the prepared kappa / tapioca biriyani. Mix well. Serve hot.
Looks delicious …. quite new to me 🙂
this dry preparation looks very tasty.
yummy……….yummy………no words……..first time here……..u have a nice space……….pls visit my blog also vn u r free……….happy 2 follow u………
Looks delicious. But y is it called biriyani? There isn’t rice na…. 😉
voh… great. njan nerathe idanam ennu vicharichathanu.
Wow, kappa biriyani ente oru weakness anu, havent had it in a whiole now, aaa screenil ninn eduthu thinnan thonunud ketto 🙂
This is something new to me, looks too good.
That sounds delicious- a new n nice recipe!
New & delicious!!!!
Wow delicious and spicy kappa biryani..looks perfect,ethu enthayalum try cheyanam
Ithu super aayittundu….next time vangumbol try cheyyam..:)
Looks super duper delicious.
kappa erachi adipoli tto… njan evde vannitta ethu aadhyamayi kazhiche.. Should try some time..
looks great, good texture vibrant color.
Kappa biriyani adipoli.
This is very new to me, looks Mouthwatering and delicious …
so delicious and wonderful biriyani !!
Yumm, thats an irresistible briyani,simply fabulous..
That is a wonderful dish that can satisfy my hunger.
Thank You All 🙂
Its commonly called kappa biriyani in Kerala. I have no idea why it is called so..
enikku vayya, ethende fav aanu….etheppol satyathil ende mumbil undayirunnengil aa full plate nyan kaali aakkiyene..kothi aakunnu,,,,,:)…tempting clicks too!!
hoooooooooooo it’s tasty.
I want to try this but you didnt mentioned what to do with grated coconut .. all your recipes are authentic.. ii tried sooo many items.. it was just awesome.. this is a dictionery actually..i highly recommend..!!
Thank you so much for your sweet comment! Hope you continue to enjoy the recipes here.. Reg your question – add grated coconut to the mashed tapioca and mix well. Will update the recipe. Thanks for pointing it out!
Recently I got to taste Kappa Biriyani and I was on the hunt for a good recipe and found your blog :). This Kappa Biriyani looks delicious! Now I have to try my hands on this.
Hope you like this recipe, Shibi..Happy cooking!
I tried this and it came out really delicious. Thank you
yesterday I made this and came out very well.thanks for sharin’g this. I didn’t put the masalas in ‘ to prepare the biriyani section’ cz I felt my kids ‘ll feel more spicy.then also it came really well and enough spicy…
Looks so yummmmmmy, will try this and let you know 🙂
Thanks!! Hope you enjoy it..
Tried it and was good..thànk u so much
You are welcome! 🙂 Great to know that it turned out well..