Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1. Raw green mango – 1, peeled and cut into small pieces
Cleaned and washed jackfruit seeds – 1.5 cups, cut lengthwise( each jackfruit seed cut into 3-4 pieces)
Drumstick – 1, cut into 1.5 inch pieces and slit
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Salt – To taste
2. Grated Coconut – Around 1 cup
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Green chilies – 3
Pearl onion – 1-2
3. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilies – 2
Pearl Onions, sliced – 2 – 3 (Optional)
Curry leaves – A few
Coconut oil – 2 – 3 tsp
4. Salt – To taste
1. Grind coconut, cumin seeds, green chilies and pearl onions to a fine paste. Set aside.
2. Cook jackfruit seeds adding 1 cup water, turmeric powder, curry leaves and enough salt at medium heat. You can pressure cook it for 1 whistle if you want. When the jackfruit pieces are done, add drum stick pieces, mango pieces and cook until they are soft and tender. Mash the jackfruit seeds and mango slightly with the back of a spoon.
3. Bring down the heat. Add ground coconut, mix well and cook until its raw taste is gone, about 2 – 3 minutes. Switch off the heat and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a small pan, splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chilies, sliced shallots and curry leaves and fry until they turn brown. Pour this seasoning over the curry and serve with rice after 30 mts.