Ishtu / Potato Stew
Ingredients (Serves 3 )
- Potato 3 small, peeled and cubed
- Onion – 1 small, thinly sliced
- Ginger – 1/2 inch, thinly sliced
- Green chilies – 2 – 3, slit
- Medium-thick coconut milk – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – 3 – 4 tsp
Heat 2 – 3 tsp coconut oil in a pressure cooker. Add thinly sliced onions, little salt, ginger, green chilies and a few curry leaves. Saute until onion becomes transparent. Add cubed potatoes, 1 cup water(or thin coconut milk) and enough salt. Cover with the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Open the cooker and add medium-thick coconut milk and a few curry leaves. Cook on medium-low heat for 5 -6 minutes while mashing the potatoes slightly with the back of a spoon. Add 1/4 cup thick coconut milk, few curry leaves and 3 tsp coconut oil, for an extra taste. Remove from fire. This curry tends to thicken over time. It goes really well with appam/kallappam, idiyappam or even chapatis.
1. You can season it with 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 2 dry red chilies and few curry leaves. And you can add whole garam masala (cardamom – 1, cloves – 2 and 1/2 inch cinnamon stick) if you want.