Savory and Sweet Puff pastry Cups
Ingredients (For 9 puff cups)
For the chicken
1. Boneless chicken – 200 gm, cubed
2. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/8 tsp
Kasoori methi – 1/4 tsp crushed
Yoghurt – 1 – 2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Marinate the chicken pieces with ingredients numbered 2 for at least 30 mts. Heat 1 – 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. Fry the chicken pieces on both sides until browned and done, about 8 – 12 minutes. Drain on to a paper towel. Cut into small pieces.
3. Onion – 1/4 cup, cut into small cubes
Mushroom – 1/4 cup, cut into small cubes
4. Red and green bell pepper – 1/4 cup each, cut into small cubes
Zucchini – 1/4 cup, cut into small cubes
5. Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
6. Salt – To taste
7. Oil – 2 tsp
8. Puff pastry – 1 sheet (I used Pepperidge farm puff pastry. Each package contains two sheets, and each sheet comes folded in thirds. Cut along the fold lines. Next, make two cuts the other way so that you have 9 squares of puff pastry.)
1. Heat oil in the same pan which you used to fry chicken pieces. Add onion and mushroom cubes. Saute for 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and zucchini. Saute for 1 – 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper powder. Switch off. Combine it with the chopped fried chicken pieces and set aside.
2. To bake – Place the puff pastry squares inside a greased muffin pan. Prick slightly with a fork. Put 1 – 1.5 tbsp filling inside the pastry squares. Bake at 400 F for about 12 minutes until the puffs turn golden. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro. Enjoy with ketchup.
1. In case you don’t have a muffin pan, you can make open-faced puff pastries as shown below. Place the puff pastry squares on the baking sheet as mentioned above. Put the filling, on each puff pastry square, prick the edges slightly with a fork and then bake for 10 – 12 minutes at 400 F. The toppings will bind to the pastry once done.
2. To make puff pastry pizza – Top the puff pastry squares with pizza sauce followed by the toppings and shredded cheese. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
Ingredients (For 9 cups)
1. Walnuts / pecans – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 3 – 4 tbsp or to taste
Butter – 2 tbsp, melted
Apple – 3 – 4 tbsp, cut into small cubes
2. Puff pastry sheet – 1 (Thaw the puff pastry sheet according to package instruction and cut into 9 squares as mentioned above).
1. Combine all the ingredients numbered 1 in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Place the puff pastry squares inside a greased muffin pan. Prick slightly with a fork. Put 1 – 1.5 tbsp filling inside the pastry squares. Bake for 12 minutes at 400F. While baking, the apples lend a subtle flavor to the pastries making it moist and sumptuous! You can avoid using apples if you want.