People, get prepared to drool! We went to our first ever Iftar party last sunday and I would never forget the experience. Didn’t I tell you all about my new friend and neighbor Zahera Ummat? She gave us an amazing Iftar spread and filled our hearts and stomach. It was nothing less than a grand Buffet!
Let me just spell out her menu–For starters, she had a yummy yogurt and condensed milk lassi garnished with fresh scraped coconut and cherries, dahi vada, palak pakoras, Moroccan harira soup, and chana chaat prepared by her Pakistani friend (recipe coming next), fruits and dates. Main course was matar pulav, vegetable pasta for kids, naan, goat ka salan, chicken kebabs and chicken qorma. And for dessert she had the yummiest gulab jamuns.
Zahera was an awesome host, and I wonder how she managed to make all this for 50 people while she was fasting. I am going to share all of her recipes here. I have watched and carefully recorded all the dishes she served for the Iftar party. Now along with my Onam, Vishu, Christmas and Easter spreads, I will have Ramadan, Eid specials too on my blog!
I will post the chana chaat, haleem, mutton ka salan and a couple of other Ramadan dishes before Ramadan. Please scroll to the end of this page to see some of the pictures of her yummy dishes that I took on my phone and drool 🙂
Let me get started with the yummy harira soup which was a super-hit with everybody at Zahera’s party. Harira is a hearty Moroccan soup that is nutritious, filling and super-yummy. It is particularly popular during Ramadan. Its so easy to prepare, I am sure you will never go wrong with this recipe. I guarantee that you will love this!! Thanks dear Zahera for selflessly providing me with all the recipes; I owe you big time!! Heres the recipe for Harira..
Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6)
1.Beef /mutton – 100-150gm,cut into small cubes (Makes around 1/2 – 3/4 cup)
2.Olive oil – 2 tbsp
3.Ginger-garlic paste –1tsp, heaped
4. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Paprika – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder –1/4 tsp
5. Tomato – 2 medium, blanched and pureed (Step 1)
Tomato paste – 1 tbsp
White chickpeas – 1/4 cup (Soaked in enough water for 8 – 10 hrs)
Whole green /brown lentils, rinsed – 2 – 3 tbsp
Celery – 1/2 cup, chopped
Cilantro – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Parsley –1/4 cup, finely chopped
Salt – To taste
Hot water – Around 4 – 4.5 cups
Chicken stock cube –1 small
6. Orzo pasta – 2.5 tbsp (You can use vermicelli(semiya) / rice / any short cut pasta you like)
7. Fresh lemon juice – 1 – 2 tsp or to taste
1.To blanch tomatoes – Put the tomato in boiling water. Boil for about 1 – 2 minutes until their skin starts peeling off. Take them out and set aside for 2 minutes. Peel off its skin and puree the flesh. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large stockpot at medium-high heat. Add the beef/mutton pieces, ginger-garlic paste and stir for a few minutes. Add turmeric powder, pepper powder, paprika and cinnamon powder. Saute for a few seconds and add all the ingredients numbered 5. Mix well, bring to a boil and cook on low heat for about 1- 1.5 hrs until soup is slightly thickened and everything is done. Add orzo pasta /vermicelli and cook for 10 –15 minutes until pasta is done. Taste-check for salt. Switch off. Add lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot with slices of lemon,dates and bread.
Zahera’s Ramadan Specials