Nadan Beef Curry Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 5)
1. Beef – 600 – 700 gm, cubed (Organic beef or beef chuck roast preferred)
2. Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
3. Coconut slices / thenga kothu – 1/4 cup
4. Onion – 1.5 – 2 cups, thinly sliced (Use pearl onions for extra taste)
5. Ginger, crushed – 1 tbsp
Garlic, crushed – 1 tbsp
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 2.5 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder –1/2 tsp
Meat masala powder – 1.5 tsp
7. Tomato – 1 small, chopped
8. Hot water – 1 cup
9. Vinegar – 1/2 tsp
10. Salt – To taste
11. Garam masala powder –1/2 tsp
Pepper powder –1/2 tsp
12. Coconut oil – 2 tsp
13. Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Pearl onions – 4 – 5, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – A few
1. Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a pan. Add coconut slices and curry leaves. Stir for a minute. Next add thinly sliced onion and little salt. Saute until onion turns transparent. Add crushed ginger and garlic. Saute until their raw smell is gone and onion turns light golden. Add the spice powders numbered 6. Stir for a minute until their raw smell is gone. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute until tomato gets mashed up. Add beef pieces, enough salt and mix well. Cook for 5 – 6 minutes at medium heat. Transfer to a 4 liter or 5 liter pressure cooker. Add 1 cup hot water, 1/2 tsp vinegar and cook for 3 – 4 whistles until beef pieces are soft and done. Add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and 1/4 tsp pepper powder. Add more water and boil, if the curry is thick.
2. In a small, heat 2 tsp coconut oil. Splutter mustard seeds and fry pearl onions until brown. Add few curry leaves and stir for a few seconds. Pour this over the curry. Cover with a lid for 5 minutes. Mix well and serve the beef curry hot with porotta, chapathis or rice. It tastes best after a few hours.
I regularly try your recipes and they are fantastic. For this one can I use mutton instead of beef?
Sorry for the delay in replying, Gaby..You can use mutton instead of beef for this recipe..
is there a substitute for meat masala powder?
Beef curry looks very inviting.
What is the difference between Garam Masala and Meat Masala??
What are the ingredients in these two Masala?
I use homemade garam masala powder for all my recipes. It has fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, black pepper corns and star anise. You can find its recipe here – http://www.yummyoyummy.com/2010/06/lamb-biriyani-our-100th-post.html
If a recipe calls for meat masala, I use store-bought. It has a few more ingredients such as coriander powder, cumin seeds, mustard etc