Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Beef (chuck roast preferred) – 500 – 600 gm, cut into small pieces
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
2. Coconut oil – 1/4 cup
3. Onion – 2 cups, thinly sliced and halved
Ginger – 2 tbsp,thinly sliced
Garlic – 2 tbsp, chopped
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
4. Coconut tidbits – 3 tbsp
5. Crushed red chilies – 3/4 tsp
Freshly crushed pepper corns – 1/2 tsp or to taste
5. Fennel seeds (roasted) – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp, crushed
6. Salt – To taste
1. Marinate the beef pieces with the other ingredients numbered 1. Set aside for at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Heat coconut oil in a pan at medium-high or high heat. Add beef pieces in 1 or 2 batches and fry until browned (takes about 8 – 10 minutes, do not fry for a very long time otherwise they will turn hard). Transfer to a bowl.
3. In the remaining oil, add onion, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and a pinch of salt. Saute until onion turns transparent, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add sliced coconut and continue to saute until onion turns golden. Add crushed chilly flakes. Saute for a minute and add fried beef pieces. Mix well. Crush black pepper corns and fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle. Add it to the pan and stir-fry at high heat for 1 – 2 minutes. Switch off. Serve immediately. You can have it as an appetizer or along with rice and other side-dishes. Its super-yummy, do give this a try…happy cooking!!
Recipe Courtesy – Anu Cijo