Paragon Style Alleppey Chicken Curry
Paragon style Alleppey Chicken Curry is a mild, rich and super-yummy chicken curry with a coconut and cashew sauce. I made it for a potluck party and it was a super hit. It goes best with appam, kallappam, ghee rice / pulao. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Wishing all my readers a Merry Christmas!
Paragon Style Alleppey Chicken Curry Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 5)
Recipe Courtesy – Adapted from Shocks and Shoes
1. Chicken – 1 kg, cut into medium pieces
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – As required
2. Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
3. Dried red chilies – 2 – 3, halved
4. Onion – 1 large, thinly sliced and halved
5. Ginger – 1.5 tbsp, finely chopped
Garlic – 1.5 tbsp, finely chopped
Curry leaves – 1 – 2 sprigs
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
7. Whole black pepper corns – 2 tsp, crushed
Cinnamon stick – 2 half inch pieces, crushed slightly
8. Cashew nuts – 20, soaked and ground to a very fine paste
9. Thin coconut milk – 1 cup
10. Thick coconut milk – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
11. Garam masala powder – 1 pinch (Optional)
12. Salt – To taste
- Marinate chicken pieces with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp pepper powder and salt. Set aside for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan / kadai and fry dried red chilies for a few seconds.
- Add onion, few curry leaves, little salt and cook till it turns golden.
- Add in the ginger, garlic and a few more curry leaves. Sauté till their raw smell disappears, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the turmeric powder and coriander powder. Cook for a few minutes over low heat until their raw smell is completely gone. Add crushed pepper, cinnamon stick and cook for a minute.
- Add the chicken pieces into it and stir well to coat the spices onto the chicken. Cover and cook on low flame, stirring in between for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the thin coconut milk and cook till the chicken is completely done. It may take 25 – 30 minutes.
- Open the lid and add in the cashew paste. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the thick coconut milk and mix well. Taste-check for salt. Add 1 tsp coconut oil, a few curry leaves and a pinch of garam masala powder, if using. Take off the heat. Serve after 20 minutes. Paragon style chicken curry is ready to serve. It goes well with chapathis, appam, idiyappam, ghee rice, pulao etc.