Spiced Chana / Kadala Fry / Kadala Masala
Reposting an old recipe with new pictures..Kadala fry / black chana fry is a great combo for rice..hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6)
1. Dried black chana / kadala – 1 – 1.5 cup
2. Pearl onions / kochulli or savola / big onion – 15 – 20 or 3/4 – 1 cup, finely chopped or sliced
Ginger – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Garlic – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Green chilies – 2, chopped fine
3. Curry leaves – 1 sprig, chopped
4. Tomato – 1 small, chopped (Optional)
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1.5 – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
6. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
7. Dried red chilies – 2, broken
8. Thenga kothu / sliced coconut – 1/4 cup
8. Sugar – 1 pinch (Optional)
9. Cilantro – 2 – 3 tbsp (to garnish, optional)
10. Salt – To taste
11. Oil preferably coconut oil – 1.5 tbsp
1. Soak the kadala / chana overnight in enough water. Cook it in a pressure cooker adding enough salt and water, for 5 whistles or until soft and done. Drain excess water and keep aside.
2. Heat coconut oil in a wide non-stick pan at medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilies. Add thenga kothu/sliced coconut and fry until light golden. Now add chopped ginger, garlic, green chillies, curry leaves and onions. Stir-fry until onion turns golden brown and then bring down the heat. Add all the ingredients numbered 5 (masala powders). Stir-fry until their raw smell disappears. Take care not to burn the masala powders. Add the chopped tomatoes and stir-fry until they get mashed up and oil separates (adding tomato is optional). Now add the cooked kala chana along with 1/4 cup cooking water. Stir-fry for a few minutes until chana is well-coated with the masala. You can mash some kadala using the back of a spoon. Taste check for salt. Add a tsp of coconut oil, 1 pinch of sugar (optional, added to balance the flavors) and chopped cilantro. Switch off. Garnish with chopped onion and cilantro. It tastes best next day. Serve hot with rice.