Ingredients (For 6 masala dosa)
1. Dosa batter – 4 cups
2. Potatoes – 2 large (or 4 – 5 small)
Beetroot – 1 medium, peeled and chopped
Carrot – 2 small, cubed
3. Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Dried red chilly – 1 , broken
Urad dal / chana dal – 1 tsp
Cashew nuts – 1 – 2 tbsp (optional)
Hing / asafoetida – A tiny pinch
Onion – 3/4 cup, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – A few
Ginger – 1/2 tsp, minced
Green chilly – 1, chopped
4. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
5. Salt – To taste
1. Pressure cook the potatoes adding salt and 1/4 cup water for 2 – 3 whistles or until done. Mash coarsely and set aside.
In another pressure cooker, cook beetroot and carrot for 2 – 3 whistles until soft. Mash slightly and set aside(do not mash completely).
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilly, urad dal and cashew nuts. When urad dal turns golden-brown, add a tiny pinch of asafoetida/ hing. Mix well and add sliced onion, curry leaves, ginger, green chilly and a pinch of salt. Saute until onion turns transparent. Add turmeric powder and saute for a minute. Add mashed potato, beetroot and carrot. Mix well and cook for a minute. Check for salt. Switch off.
3. Heat a non-stick pan (smear some oil if you are using a cast iron pan). Pour 1/2 – 3/4 cup dosa batter (depending on the size of your pan) and spread to make a thin dosa (not very thin). Drizzle 1/2 tsp oil / ghee and cook for a few minutes over medium heat until crisp (you can flip over for a minute if the dosa is thick). Add 3 – 4 tbsp potato beetroot masala in the center or on one side. Fold and serve immediately with sambar, tomato or coconut chutney. Enjoy!