Chicken Chaap – A rich Mughlai / Awadhi dish that is usually served along with biryani or roomali roti. Its very easy to make and is absolutely delicious. A big thanks to my lovely neighbor, Zahera Ummat for sharing this recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Chicken leg quarters – 3
2. Oil – 1/4 cup + 1 – 2 tbsp (Use ghee or vegetable oil)
3. Onion – 1 medium-large, peeled and roughly chopped
Ginger – 1.5 inch, roughly chopped
Garlic – 4 large cloves
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1.5 tsp
4. Cashews – 15
White poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
Whole black pepper corns or white pepper corns – 1 tsp
Green cardamom – 3
Cloves – 8
Cinnamon – 1 inch
5. Yoghurt – 3/4 cup
6. Salt – To taste
7. Kewra water – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1.5 tsp
Sugar – 1 pinch (optional, added to balance the flavors)
Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp (recipe below)
1. Grind ingredients numbered 4 to a fine powder in the small jar of a blender or in a mortar and pestle.
2. Coarsely grind onion, ginger, garlic and chilly powder in a food processor or large jar of a blender. Immediately add yoghurt, salt and ground cashew mixture. Grind to a coarse mixture. Taste-check for salt. Marinate chicken pieces with this onion mixture for at least 2 – 3 hrs or overnight in the refrigerator. Half hour before you are ready to cook, take it out and keep outside at room temperature.
4. Pour 1/4 cup + 1 – 2 tbsp oil in a large heavy-bottomed kadai or a flat heavy-bottomed pan. Place the marinated chicken pieces in the kadai. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 – 4 minutes. Stir well. Bring down the heat to medium-low or low. Cook covered for about 45 minutes until the chicken pieces are completely done and oil separates on top. Stir 3 – 4 times in between to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the kadai. Once the chicken pieces are done, add 1 tsp kewra water, 1 – 2 tsp ghee (add only if you used oil for cooking), 1 pinch sugar, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder and switch off. Mix well. Cover with a lid and set aside for 15 minutes. Serve with chicken/mutton biriyani/ saffron pulao / naan/ roti etc.
* Kewra water and ghee adds a very nice aroma to this dish. If you don’t have kewra water, you can try replacing it with 1/4 tsp rose water.
Garam masala powder recipe
- Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 8 – 10
- Black cardamom – 1
- Green cardamom – 4 – 5
- Cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch
- Javithri / mace – A tiny piece
- Nutmeg – 1/8th of one nutmeg
Grind the above ingredients to a fine powder. You need only 1/4 – 1/2 tsp for this recipe. Store the remaining in an air-tight container to use later.