1. Chicken – 1.5 kg, cleaned and cut into medium pieces
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder – 4 – 5 tsp (Adjust according to your spice tolerance.)
Salt – To taste
Marinate the chicken pieces with above ingredients and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Oil – 2 tbsp
4. Onion – 1.5 large, chopped (Around 3 cups)
5. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
6. Curry leaves – A few (optional)
7. Grated coconut – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Poppy seeds (white) – 3 tbsp
8. Garam masala powder – 1 – 1.5 tsp
9. Fresh cilantro – 2 – 3 tbsp, finely chopped
10. Salt – To taste
1. Grind grated coconut and poppy seeds to a very fine paste in the small jar of a mixie, adding 2 – 3 tbsp water.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a heavy-bottomed pan at medium heat. Add chopped onions, little salt and saute until transparent. Next add ginger-garlic paste and saute everything until onion turns light golden. Add chicken pieces and mix everything well. Cook until water starts to ooze out from the chicken, about 5 minutes. Now add coconut paste, few curry leaves and mix everything well. Cover and cook until chicken is done and oil floats on top, stirring occasionally, about 25 – 30 minutes. Open and add garam masala powder and salt, if required. Mix well and switch off. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro. This Andhra style chicken curry goes well with coconut rice, chapathis, porotta, appam, idiyappam etc.
Recipe Courtesy – Rajani Kumari Aunty