This is a different style pulao, which is easy and tasty too. It will go with chicken curry, chick peas curry, or any vegetable curry, even with curd and a pickle.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1.Basmati rice – 1 cup
2.Carrot – 1, thinly sliced
3.Beans – ½ cup, sliced diagonally or into thin round pieces
4.Frozen green peas – ½ cup
5.Onion – ½ (medium-sized), thinly sliced
6.Raisins – ¼ cup
7.Cashews -1/4 cup
8.Cloves – 6
9.Cardamom – 4
10. Cinnamon stick – ½ inch
11. Black pepper corns – 8
12. Ghee / oil – 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp
13. Salt – to taste
1. Soak the rice for 20 minutes.
2. Drain it and keep aside.
3. Shallow fry the raisins, cashews in ghee and keep aside.
4. Fry the sliced onion until brown.
5. Then shallow fry the beans with a pinch of salt.
6. When the beans are half-done add the carrots, little salt and shallow fry them(add more ghee /oil if needed). Keep these fried vegetables aside.
7. Heat a heavy nonstick pan, add the ghee and fry the drained rice in low flame for 2 – 3 mts.
8. Meanwhile in another vessel boil water (2 cups for 1 cup rice) with salt and whole garam masala.
9. Pour the boiling water to the pan containing fried rice and stir well. Close it with a lid and cook in medium heat.
10. Check for water in between.
11. After 10 mts the rice will be 98% cooked and there will be no water in the pan.
12. Then remove it from the heat and add the green peas (don’t stir), close it again with the lid. Let it cool.
13. The rice will be fully cooked by that time. Now add the fried Vegetables, fried onion, cashews, raisins to the rice and mix gently with a fork.
For an extra taste, you can try adding cubed pineapple to this pulao. Fry them slightly after frying cashews and raisins in ghee /oil. Set aside and mix with cooked rice later.
Maya…made this yday dear…parayathe vayya..adipoli kidu kalakkan thakarppan…nalla ruchi ayrunu tou…yummy o yummy…:-)
Pinne oru karyam koode, recipe ingredientsil green peasnu pakaram green beans ennae..typo ayathakum..
Ethu Lakshmiyude recipe anne 🙂 Thanks a lot for your feedback Sujitha and thanks for pointing out the mistake. I have done the correction..Please keep visiting…
Just a suggestion… adding a tbsp of ginger garlic paste would enhance the taste
Got to know about the site from one of my friend and strtd trying with veg pulav which came out really nice..my husband loved it..me being a beginner into cooking,i get immense pleasure wen he says good about food…thanks for being a part of my this happiness…
Hai Maya hpw are you. ..
I tried ur veg pulav..its just wonderful that I bite my finger. My husband used to criticise my food but this time no time to criticise as he was attacking the pulav. My 2 year old daughter too loved it . Thank you dear for the recipe.
pulao was so delicious….planning to make it for a virunnu choru….can you suggest me some dishes to pair it with please
Sorry for the delay in responding…You can pair it with any of the following recipes
Please check out the recipe index for more options..