1. All purpose flour / maida – 1 cup
Baking powder – 2.5 tsp
2. Sugar – 1 cup
Eggs – 3
3. Cardamom - 6
Nutmeg powder – 1 pinch (optional)
4. Oil – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
5. Cashews and raisins – 2 tbsp each, optional
6. Sliced almonds – 1/4 cup, optional (to decorate)
1. Sift all purpose flour and baking powder and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper OR grease it and then dust with flour. Set aside.
2. In a blender / mixie grind sugar and eggs for about 20 – 30 seconds until frothy. Add in 6 cardamom, nutmeg powder (if using) and grind again for about 15 – 20 seconds until cardamom is crushed. Transfer this to a large bowl. Next add oil, milk, vanilla essence and lemon juice. Whisk well or use a spatula to mix everything. Now add sifted all purpose flour and baking powder little by little and mix well to combine. Finally stir in the nuts and raisins (if using). Pour this batter into the prepared 9 inch cake pan. Sprinkle sliced almonds. Bake for about 22 – 25 minutes or until done and a skewer inserted into the center comes clean. Take it out, run a knife along the edges and invert onto a plate after 5 – 8 minutes. Cool and cut into pieces. Store left-overs in the fridge. Its delicious, yet very simple and easy to make. Enjoy!
Instead of a blender you can use hand-mixer or even a whisk. In that case, use crushed cardamom or 3/4 – 1 tsp freshly ground cardamom powder.
Recipe courtesy – Girija Pillai