Here’s the recipe for the creamy and absolutely delicious Mughlai chicken qorma that will make you want to eat more and more with every bite. Its easy to make and tastes even better the next day. Do try it out and let me know your feedback!
Ingredients (Serves 5 )
1. Chicken – Around 1.25 kg (You can use bone-in chicken or boneless and skinless chicken thighs. I used chicken thighs.)
2. Oil /butter / ghee – 1/4 cup + 1 – 2 tbsp (You can use extra light olive oil also if you prefer)
3. Onion – 1 large, finely chopped or ground to a paste
Ginger-garlic paste – 2.5 tsp
5. Whole spices – 1 – 2 bay leaves, 2 inch cinnamon, 2 black cardamom, 1/4 tsp black pepper corns, 8 cloves, 4 green cardamom
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp, heaped
Garam masala powder – 1/2 + 1/2 tsp (Recipe below)
6. Tomato – 1 small, sliced
7. Yoghurt (not very sour) – 1/2 cup
Fresh cream / whipping cream – 1/2 cup
8. Almonds – 10 – 12 (Soaked in water for a few hours and skin removed)
Raisins – 2 tbsp
9. Sugar – 1/4 tsp (to balance the flavors)
Saffron – 1 tiny pinch
10. Salt – To taste
11. Cilantro – 2 tbsp chopped, to garnish
1. Whisk yoghurt and cream in a medium bowl. Set aside to use later.
2. Heat oil in a deep pan at medium heat. Add ground onion paste (use it immediately after grinding otherwise it will turn bitter) and ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 7 –10 minutes until water evaporates and onion starts to change color.
3. Add the chicken pieces, enough salt and mix well. Cook for a minute and then add all the ingredients numbered 5. Mix well and add in sliced tomato. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes stirring occasionally until oil starts separating.
4. Next add the beaten yoghurt-cream mixture. Mix well. Cover and cook for about 10 – 15 minutes. Open the lid and add almonds and raisins. Again cover and cook for 10- 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until chicken is done and oil separates. Add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, 1/4 tsp sugar and a tiny pinch of saffron. Mix well. Cover and cook for 1 more minute. Switch off. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve the delicious Mughlai chicken qorma with naan, pulav, chapathis etc. We had it with basmati pilaf(recipe coming soon..)
Garam masala powder recipe
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper – 1.5 tsp
- Cloves – 1/4 tsp
- Black cardamom – 1
- Cinnamon – 1/4 inch
Grind the above ingredients to a fine powder and transfer to an air-tight container. You need only 1 tsp for this recipe.
Adapted from here
Awesome and delicious looking mutton quorma. I too would like to have it more and more if I get such lovely dishes like this one of yours.
Thank you it’s so yummy !! Only I made almond paste , not whole nuts. Thank you a lot
Thanks for your feedback!
I tried this dish out and it was so delicious. My whole family loved it. To be honest, I have tried many of your recipes and all have come out so well. Thank you Maya for all the super dishes you share with us. Keep it up !!
Really happy to read your comment! Thanks a lot for taking time to write here!