Quinoa Vegetable Soup
Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1. Quinoa – 1/4 cup heaped, washed and drained
2. Olive oil – 2 tbsp
3. Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Garlic cloves – 3, minced
Carrot – 1 small, cut into small cubes
Celery – 2 stalks, chopped
4. Vegetable stock – 3 – 4 cups (You can add water instead)
Tomato – 2 medium-small , blanched (Step 1)
White navy beans – 1/2 cup, cooked ( Soak navy beans in enough water overnight. Cook on stovetop adding lots of water until just done. Strain the excess water and set aside.You can use cannellini beans or red kidney beans/rajma instead.)
5. Zucchini – 1/4 cup, cubed
6. Salt and pepper – To season
7. Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
8. Cilantro / parsley – 2 – 3 tbsp, finely chopped
1. To blanch tomatoes – Put the tomatoes in boiling water. Boil for about 1 – 2 minutes or until their skin starts peeling off. Take them out and set aside for 2 minutes. Peel off their skin and chop the flesh. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a sauce pan / soup pot at medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes. Add 3 cups of vegetable stock, chopped tomato, quinoa and cooked navy beans. Bring to a boil. Cook covered for 15 minutes and then add zucchini pieces. Again cover and cook until quinoa is done and soup is medium thick. Season with salt and pepper. Switch off. Add lemon juice and mix well. Garnish with chopped cilantro / parsley.
You can use other veggies such as corn, cabbage, bell pepper, spinach etc.
Check out my other soup recipes..