1. Methi – 1 bunch (Pluck the methi leaves from the stem, wash well and keep aside to drain. It makes about 1.5 cups)
2. Chicken – 1.25 – 1.5 kg, cut into medium pieces
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Yoghurt – 1/4 cup
Salt – As required
Marinate chicken pieces with the above ingredients for at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator. Take it outside 1/2 hour before cooking it.
3. Butter / ghee / oil – 3 tbsp
4. Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
5. Onion – 2 cups, chopped
6. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Green chilies – 4 – 6, diagonally sliced or slit
7. Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
8. Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
9. Fresh cream / malai – 1/4 cup or as required
10. Salt – To taste
1. Heat butter/ ghee/ oil in a heavy-bottomed pan at medium heat. Splutter cumin seeds and add chopped onion and little salt. Saute until onion turns transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste and green chilies. Saute until onion turns light golden. Add coriander powder and garam masala powder. Saute until their raw smell is gone.Next add finely chopped tomato and saute until they get mushy and oil starts separating.
2. Add coarsely chopped methi leaves and stir for a minute until they wilt. Add marinated chicken pieces and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3/4 cup hot water and cook covered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken gets cooked completely. Open the lid. Taste-check for salt. Add fresh cream. Mix well. Switch off. Serve the delicious methi malai murgh with chapathis / naan/ rice / pulav.
To reduce the bitterness of methi leaves – Rinse them well and sprinkle salt. Mix it lightly and let sit for 10 – 15 minutes. Squeeze out as much water as you can. Then rinse, chop and use in the recipe.