Andhra Chicken Roast / Kodi Iguru
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Chicken, boneless or bone-in – 3/4 kg, cut into medium-small pieces
2. Onion – 1 medium-large, chopped (Makes about 1.5 cup)
Ginger-garlic paste – 1.5 tbsp
Green chilies – 1 – 2, slit (optional)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig, chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 4 tsp (Adjust according to your spice tolerance, this is medium spicy)
Coarsely ground pepper powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Salt – To taste
3. Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
4. Cilantro – 3 tbsp chopped
5. Oil – 1.5 – 2 tbsp
1. Marinate chicken pieces with ingredients numbered 2. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Place chicken pieces inside a wide pan and cook at medium heat. Water will start oozing out of the chicken pieces. Cook until water completely evaporates, about 15 minutes. Now add 1.5 – 2 tbsp oil and mix well. Continue cooking until chicken is done, browned and well-coated with the masala. This takes another 20 minutes or so. Sprinkle garam masala powder, chopped cilantro and mix well. Switch off. Sprinkle lemon juice, while serving. This Andhra chicken roast is delicious, yet very simple and easy to make ..Do try it out, friends!
Try to use uniform-sized, medium-small chicken pieces for this recipe otherwise it will take longer time to cook. If you use large pieces like I did, cover with a lid in between, for 8 – 10 minutes, so that chicken will cooked inside also.
Recipe courtesy – My neighbor, Sushmita’s mom, Rajani Kumari