Kheema Matar (Minced meat and green peas curry) and a good news!
This is a very, very special post. I have an exciting news to share with you all ! Me and my little one Aarav, won the Best Mom photo contest for Manorama online, an online portal for the most Popular Malayalam newspaper. Our picture was among the 12 pictures that they had chosen for voting…and Yayyy ! We won! So today’s recipe , the most delicious Kheema Matar is posted with a little pride and tons of love to all of you ! A very special thanks to all of you who have voted for us ! Enjoy the yummy Keema Mattar !
Ingredients (Serves 6)
1. Keema / minced meat (beef/goat/lamb) – 1/2 kg (I used goat keema)
2. Fresh / frozen green peas / matar – 1/2 cup
3. Oil – 2 tbsp
4. Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Whole spices – Cardamom – 3, cloves – 4, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch stick, bay leaf – 1
5. Onion – 1 large, finely chopped (Around 2.5 cups)
Green chilly – 1, slit
Curry leaves – A few (optional)
6. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
7. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
8. Tomato – 2 small, finely chopped
9. Yoghurt – 2 tbsp
10. Salt – To taste
11. Gram masala powder – 1/2 tsp
12. Cilantro – 2 tbsp, chopped
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wide pan. Add cumin seeds and whole spices. Stir for a few seconds until fragrant. Next add finely chopped onions, little salt, slit green chilly and curry leaves. Saute for 10 – 15 minutes until onion starts turning color. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute again until onion turns light golden. Add the spice powders numbered 7. Saute until their raw smell disappears.
2. Add finely chopped tomato and saute until it gets mushy and oil starts separating. Add minced meat, enough salt and mix well. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes and add 2 tbsp yoghurt. Mix well. Transfer this to a pressure cooker (or you can continue cooking in the same pan if you want, but it will take at least 30 minutes to cook) and add 1/2 cup hot water. (If you prefer a dry keema, add only 1/4 cup water). Mix well and pressure-cook for 1 whistle.
3. Open the pressure-cooker after 15 minutes. Add fresh/frozen green peas. Taste-check for salt. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes at medium-low heat. Sprinkle garam masala powder and mix well. If you prefer a dry keema, cook for a few more minutes. Switch off. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with naan, chapatis, rice etc.